A 3-ounce serving of grilled tuna steaks tuna, either Yellowfin or Bluefin tuna, will provide between 24 and 26 grams of protein. And, either type of tuna supplies a substantial dose of niacin as well. Niacin is a B vitamin that supports the proper function of your digestive system and supports the health of your skin and nerves. Tuna also offers a healthy amount of iron, potassium and zinc.
Tuna is a very lean fish and will dry out if overcooked! So, cook to an internal temperature of 145 °F (65 °C). Grilling your tuna is a great way to maintain the nutritional value of your tuna steak and keep the saturated fat content low. You can try replacing a serving of red meat with a tuna steak each week to reduce your overall intake of saturated fat while also boosting your intake of omega-3 fatty acids.
Go ahead and combine a grilled tuna steak with nutritious toppings and additions to boost the nutrient content of your meal! Servings: 6
Here’s what you need:
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) light soy sauce
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried pepper flakes
- 6 tuna steaks (6 oz/170 g each), rinsed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) minced garlic
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, canola oil and pepper flakes. Place tuna steaks and 2 tbsp (25 mL) of soy sauce mixture in a large, resealable plastic bag. Turn bag several times to coat tuna steaks. Refrigerate no longer than 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill coated with cooking spray over high heat.
- Meanwhile, in another small bowl, combine cilantro, basil, lime juice, vinegar and garlic.
- Remove tuna from bag, discarding any leftover marinade, and grill tuna for 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until very pink in center (internal temperature of 145 °F/65 °C).
- Do not overcook tuna or it will become tough. Serve with remaining soy sauce mixture and top with equal amounts of cilantro mixture.
Nutritional Analysis: Calories 210; Protein 27 g; Total Fat 10 g; Carbohydrates 2 g; Sodium 240 mg; Potassium 320 mg