What’s great about this cauliflower casserole is that the ricotta cheese gives you the creamy cauliflower experience, while also sneaking in kale — which is high in calcium and has tons of vitamins — and some chicken sausage for protein. End result: A cauliflower casserole that’s a nutritional winner, which transforms comfort food to a real healthy meal.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- dash of salt and pepper
- Pinch of each, dried: thyme, rosemary, tarragon, and parsley
- 4 links nitrate-free, chicken sausage, sliced into half moons
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup fat free ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded and divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a casserole dish with olive oil. Place a large pot of water to boil with a pinch of salt.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the olive oil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, dried herbs and chicken sausage.
- Mix well, then add kale. Cover for about 3 minutes, until kale gets bright green and wilted, then remove cover.
- Saute for an additional 3 minutes until everything is tender. Set aside.
- Place the cauliflower florets in the pot of boiling water.
- Boil for 5 minutes, then remove from heat, drain, and return cauliflower to pot.
- Add the kale mixture to the pot as well as the chicken broth, lemon juice, ricotta cheese and half of the Parmesan cheese.
- Mix will over medium heat until all has been incorporated.
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- Top with remaining Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.
- Enjoy your Cauliflower Casserole
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 238 calories, 10g fat, 584mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, and 18g protein